You’ve finally made the decision to begin touring assisted living facilities. You will soon discover each facility, not unlike each person, has its own personality. It is important to bring a checklist, or mentally carry one with you when you tour. Part of your tour will include observation and the other part question and answer. Below is a simple checklist to use as you tour facilities.
1. Are the grounds well-maintained?
2. Is the facility attractive, clean and odor-free?
3. Are there different floor plans? What is the square footage of each?
4. What are the amenities? What is the fee for each?
5. Is there an activities calendar? Ask to see the calendar.
6. How are residents encouraged to attend activities?
7. Are there options at every meal? Ask to see a menu.
8. Is there an entrance fee?
9. Is there 24-hour staff on-site?
10. What is the monthly rent? Is their an entrance fee?
11. Is transportation available? Is there a fee?
12. How are medications managed?
13. Do the residents appear to be happy?
14. What is the interaction between residents and staff?
15. How many residents live at the community?
Once you have toured 3 or 4 communities, you will notice the similarities and differences of each. Using your checklist of answered questions and observations, you will soon determine the community most appropriate for you or your loved one.