Tips to Making Friends When Moving To An Assisted Living Community
Similar to anyone making a move to a new city, job or assisted living community, you may be thinking, “How will I make new friends?” This is a common anxiety/concern for just about everyone. Consider these few tips to building friendships when you relocate to your new home. Before moving in:
- Attend lunch or an activity before making the move. Chances are you will meet a few residents and will recognize them again when you move in.
- Ask the staff how they will help you meet new friends. They will gladly help you transition smoothly to your new community and will introduce you to your neighbors and to the residents in the dining room.
- Attend a variety of activities and you will surely meet folks who are interested in activities that appeal to you. Who knows, you might even discover new hobbies and activities that interest you.
- Volunteer to help with activities, projects or programs. The more active and involved you are, the more opportunities to meet new friends.
- With a positive attitude and an open mind, you will enjoy your new home.
Making friends at an assisted living community.